Friday, July 22, 2011

Iron Pigs

Tonight Boo and I went to our first Lehigh Valley Iron Pigs game.  They're a Phillies minor league team.  They're not all that great (but at the head of their division...) but are so very close and easy to get to.
This has been my lucky week.  First, on Wednesday I won the office 50/50 raffle and got about $30 out of the deal.  Then, the company had been given a 4-pack of tickets to the Iron Pigs game tonight.  I said what the heck and tossed $5 in and picked up three chances.  I was totally not expecting to win.  Sure enough, the last ticket I bought was the one that was chosen.  So, here I am in the middle of the hottest week we've seen yet this summer with four tickets to the game on the hottest night of the week and Boo hasn't been feeling good all week, fighting off a minor case of hand, foot and mouth again.  Great.
Actually, it was.
There were several people that I asked, but for one reason or another, they didn't end up going.  So, it was just Boo and me.  I didn't feel too bad about that, I mean I only paid $5 for all four tickets.  And besides, if the other people in the row decided to show up, I figured I'd be thankful for the extra seats.  (As it turned out, there weren't any people on either side for most of the time we were there.)  I also figured for next-to-free, that if we only stayed a couple of innings, I would have gotten my money's worth.

I more than got my money's worth.  The seats were awesome!  (The picture at the top is not zoomed in or cropped or anything.  We were row "S", so about 6 or 7 rows from the back of the first level.  We were in the shade from the start, and on the 3rd base line.  I don't think I've ever had seats that nice to any game, including the very minor league game I went to in Minnesota.  (I loved that game, it was so much fun.)

We got there about 20 minutes before the first pitch.  I'd promised Boo ice cream for dinner (on account of it both being so hot and his mouth being sore...)  So, right inside the gate was an ice cream stand and we made a dash right to it.  There wasn't any line or anything.  It was quite a yummy dinner.
The game was fun to watch, until the top of the 5th.  At that point, the Pigs were down 2-1 going into the inning, but ended up leaving the inning at 4-1.  It was also the top of the 5th that Boo decided he'd had enough, more than enough.  Since it was just about 9:00 and still just under 100 degrees out with little to no breeze, I decided he was right.  There was a nice couple sitting in front of us, who were trying to get Boo to stay.  When we were leaving, they were throwing out T-shirts and the guy was all "stay, you'll catch something".  But, we started walking away.  Wouldn't you know, about a minute later as we're just pat the top of the stairs and he comes running up, shirt in hand to give to Boo.  That was so awesome and such a great way to end the evening.

I really do love these adventures with my son.  Yes, it would have been nice if Gak had come.  (He didn't want to in the heat and he worked until 6:30 and the game started at 7 and I wanted to get there early...)  But, I really do enjoy the time I get to spend just me and my boy-o.  Then again, I like to have time with just my wonderful hubby.  (It's been way, way too long since we've had a night, or even a few hours, just to ourselves away from home and the boy-child... I must fix that.)

I've got more pictures to post and will hopefully have a "pictures post" here, but I'm tired, and sticky and in need of a shower and my bed (and possibly a snack...).

So, I bid you all peace, much luck and fun adventures without melting.

No comments: