Tuesday, January 04, 2011

Welcome 2011

Ok, so it's the 4th day of 2011 and I'm just now getting a post up.  I've been busy.  Mostly in a good way, but busy none the less.
The new year started out on a nice note over all.  (I will just gloss over the fact that it was a cranky morning for unknown reasons.)  We headed down to Amma and PopPop's around 10:00 to get there around 11.  We had a nice lunch (even if Boo was being a toddler and not eating and just frustrating his father...).  Boo got to play with his PopPop for a few and then Amma joined the three of us on our way down to Baltimore.  Yep, we headed down to Baltimore to meet up with Michelle and her aunt Eileen.
We left a bit earlier than we needed too, which was fine because it gave us a chance to stop at Whitemarsh so Gak could stop at the Games Workshop store there and the rest of us could wiggle a bit.  Boo never did nap on the way down there, even with Amma pointedly ignoring him.  We get to the Barnes and Noble right around 3:00, but as is ever the case, Eileen and Michelle were running late.  It was quite alright though.  Boo loves the book store.  Especially book stores with a train table.  Once Michelle and Eileen joined us, we headed next door to the Hard Rock and had an early dinner.  It was quite an enjoyable meal and it was really good to be able to catch up.  After dinner it was back to the book store so the girls could actually do some shopping (and we could continue to catch up) until Boo's lack of a nap caught up with him around 7.  One of these days we'll actually make it down there early enough and have enough time to actually go to the aquarium.  I love that aquarium and haven't been in so long.
Eileen is doing well despite her recent tumble down most of a flight of stairs.  Michelle is also doing quite well.  She's enjoying her time up in Canada and has recently found out where her next posting will be.  Come August, after a few weeks of home leave and a few more of training (pending her visa of course) she'll be heading to Pakistan.  Yep, Pakistan.  Of course, the news today worries me, but I'm an optimist.  She's not going to be in Islamabad, and closer to the Indian border, so it's a bit safer right now.  She even found a guide book at the book store, so it's not all bad.  We hope to be able to catch up with her sometime in June or July while she's home.  Everyone misses her so.  I just wish I was able to tell her that yes, we'll be up to Ottawa at the beginning of May (or even March).  I feel like such a horrible friend for not trying harder to get up to see her.  Stupid passport rule.
Thankfully it was an uneventful drive home and Boo slept most of the way to Amma's and then fell asleep about halfway back to our place.  I'm glad he did wake up for a bit there in the middle, it meant that he actually slept in the next day, which is always nice.

The rest of the start of the year has been fairly uneventful over all.  Today was my first day back to work since the day before Christmas Eve.  It was a little rough to get back into the swing of things, but not as bad as I feared.  I'd checked my email at one point in the middle of last week, so it wasn't too horrible when I got in.  I managed to get a good bit done, but need to focus a bit better tomorrow and get more done.  I spent a little too much time drifting while I was working on things.  I should be able to tie up some loose ends on some projects though, if I'm lucky.

I've also changed something else.  I've decided not to sign up for this session of water aerobics at the Y.  I'm just so sick and tired of fighting with the swim team and the pool that's a little cooler than I like and being shoved in the way shallow end.  So, I bit the bullet and joined the local gym.  They've got a good sized therapy pool (not too warm, not too cold either) that's open for use.  It's a little deep for me, but that's OK, it just makes a few things a little more challenging.  I'm still trying to figure out a new schedule for this as I would really love to get in the habit of going more than one evening a week.  I may see about trying to go before work on Tuesdays and Thursdays to swim or Wednesdays or Fridays after work for a short cardio or strength training workout after work but before picking Boo up.  We shall see.  Over the winter I really need to make sure I get indoor exercise in though, as I'm just not in the mood to walk outside when it is cold and/or windy.  Yes, I'm a wuss when it comes to walking outside during the week.  (But for an O meet, I'll go out in just about any weather.... why is that?... Could be because I'm usually dealing with heat not cold and not nice clothes either.)

So, this year is getting off to a good start, here's hoping I can make this year even better and more productive than last year.  My goals are to be able to spend more quality time with my family (which is different from quantity, but related), remember to take time for me and the things I love to do and to push myself as hard as I can at work so I can fully enjoy my time away from work with no regrets and nothing hanging over my head.

Peace to all and may your year be off to a great start and have a bright future.

p.s. I don't have pictures as I'd left my camera at Kat's house.  Mom and Michelle both got good group pictures, but neither of them has sent me one yet.

No comments: