Monday, December 06, 2010

Weekend

Well, it's been a while since I've managed this, so how about a weekend update?  Yes, I know it's Monday, but I had a vacation today, so technically this is the end of my weekend.
Overall it was a pretty good weekend.  It was quite busy and full, but not in a bad or stressful way.
Saturday was a pretty typical Saturday in many ways.  We dropped Gak off at work.  Boo and I did laundry.  We went to the bowling alley to watch the kids finish up bowling.  Rachel and Billy are back from their trip to Florida.  You'd have thought Rachel hadn't seen Boo in a month the way she all but tackled him and grabbed him as soon as we walked in the door.  Boo was pretty happy to see her too.  We hung out for a bit, did lunch at the dinner and then we went home so Boo could take a nap.  After nap it was time to pick up Gak from work.  We then went up to Center Valley to go to the bookstore.  Yes, I broke my mall avoidance, but it's not really a mall and it was between the busy family afternoon and the dinner and a movie crowd, so it wasn't too bad.  We got a great new book for Boo for Hanukkah and wandered around a bit.  Then we stopped and picked up pizza on our way over to Kat's.  Kat and Scott went up to NYC to catch a show with Steve, Shelby and some others.  Steph and Andy were going to Andy's work Christmas party.  Grammy was off work, but was mostly just doing her own thing in the back of the house while Rachel watched Zoe and Billy in the rest of the house.  Rach didn't mind if we left Boo with her, so we took the opportunity to go have dinner at Friday's and do a little shopping ourselves.
Sunday was another busy day.  We took it easy in the first part of the morning, but then headed down to Ikea on our way to Amma and PopPop's house.  What was going to be a $20 lamp replacement run (I still half think I should take the one with the broken switch that's less than a year old back with the receipt of the new identical one....) turned into an $80 trip.  There was only 1 or two splurge items on the list, so I don't feel too bad about it.  After that we went to the Complete Strategist.  It's the gaming store where Jon and I bought our Magic the Gathering cards and stuff like that at when we were in high school.  They've moved slightly (I think, either that or I'm  confusing two different stores in my memory...) to a different shop in the same center.  Gak was able to pick up some stuff he needed and I mostly kept Boo from looking at everything with his fingers instead of his eyes.  Then it was on to Amma and PopPop's.  We had a nice little visit.  Gak got a nap.  Boo had a few minutes of "quiet lay-down time" as I call it when I put him down for a nap... especially if he doesn't want one.  He never did nap, but he was quiet for a little bit.

Boo helped make the latkes and I helped Mom fry them up.  It was great to light the candles.  Boo got two books from Gak and I, a book from his PopPop and a nice little Duplo set from Amma.  Such a big difference between now and six months ago at his birthday.  Back in June he still wasn't sure about this whole present opening thing, but last night he really got into it.  It was great to watch, and I'm sure Christmas will be a lot of fun too.

Today I had a doctor's appointment with my OBGYN for a follow-up pap.  Such fun.  We talked very briefly about the miscarriage from last month.  He said he really doesn't think there's any genetic problems as a whole that's messing things up, since we were able to have Boo without any problems and he's healthy.  He says if we want to keep doing what we were doing, that's fine or if I want some contraception to let him know.  Gak and I have talked a bit, but haven't really decided where we want to go from here.  There are good things about both decisions.

Anyhow, after my morning adventures, it was home to pick up the boys and take them to lunch.  We then dropped Gak off at work and Boo and I ran a couple of errands, including the grocery store.  By the time we got home it was nap time for a boy.
Can I tell you that my boy really likes to "help" me cook?  More and more he's been asking to help, and been doing a fine job of it too.  So, this afternoon we made some sugar cookies.  I just used a pouch mix, but I jazzed them up a bit by adding a little mint extract, just enough to give them some flavor, not enough to be strongly mint.  Anyhow, he helped me mix up the egg, but whined "I can't!" when it came time to mix in the soft (half melted) butter.  I have no idea where he picked up "I can't!" from, but it's getting old.  Anyhow, he helped me off and on mix the dough the rest of the way.  I actually rolled them out this time and used a glass as a cookie cutter.  Boo did a very good job applying sprinkles after I showed him how.  He was quite proud of his task.  I even let him eat one almost fresh out of the oven, and he loved that.
We played for a bit, and after the cookies were really nice and cool, I asked if he thought we should take them to Poppa to share with the guys tonight.  He thought that was a great idea.  So, on went the shoes and the jackets again and I bagged up the cookies.  Gak was quite happily surprised to see us and the cookies.  We hung out until closing, mostly so I could get a chance to say hi to Ed, as I don't get a chance to see him much since Boo and I don't go over for Warhammer on Monday nights.  (Hence why Ed picks Gak up to take him...)

So, it's been a busy but good weekend.  I've got a metric ton and a half of work to do this week, and I'm not really looking forward to it.  I am looking forward to the weekend though.  Mel Bell will be coming to visit.  I'm not sure exactly which days or for how long, but it'll be fun.  The only things we've really got planned is to get the tree up, probably make some goodies to put in packages that are being sent out and well, that's about it.

Anyhow, I hear my book calling my name.  I'm going to wrap it up here and call it a night.
Peace to all and may your weekends be full of fun and family.

No comments: