Saturday, December 04, 2010

30 Month Update

Ok. Ok.  So after doing so well for November, I slid a bit so far this month.  Oops.  Anyhow, I thought I'd give you a run down of Boo's doctor appointment on Thursday.  It went well.  He's 36.5" tall and 28.8 lb.  This puts him a smidge over the 50% mark for height and a bit under for weight, but overall following his own growth curve.  So, no, he's not really huge.  Joey, who is 6 weeks older than him is heavier by a good couple pounds I'm guessing and is probably an inch or so taller. Overall his health is good.   Developmentally he's right on target (or possibly a bit advanced in some areas, whatever that means at this age.)
Anyhow, we've started him on a multi-vitamin with flouride in it since our water doesn't have any.  His doctor has been after me to do that since he was 1.  I'd pretty much refused up until now, but even though he loves fruit, his diet is iffy at best, so... a multi-vitamin probably wouldn't hurt.  Also, he's been started on iron drops.
This has me a bit peeved though.  Not that he needs iron drops, but that this wasn't done last year.  Anyhow, I think you may (or may not) remember me mentioning that at his blood check at 1 year his iron was low.  We tried getting him to eat higher iron foods (of course, shortly after this is when he gave up beef and almost all protein sources...)  Then he had his blood checked again in November before his 18-month appointment.  At that appointment I can't remember if it was mentioned or if we were told it was OK.  Anyhow, at Thursday's appointment Dr. C starts talking about his blood draw from November and I'm baffled.  Until I see the sheet says 2009 on it.  Anyhow, he says at that point his iron was still low and that he wants to put him on iron drops for a month and do another draw.  He didn't want to do a draw now because he was sure his iron would still be low.  *sigh*  So, like I said, why wasn't he put on drops last year?  I didn't argue, but we haven't been great about getting them in him, we've only gotten them done once a day since Thursday instead of three times like Dr. C wants.  So, we'll see.  I get the feeling I'll be trying to get iron in my boy for quite some time... I'm half tempted to ditch the flouride vitamins when this prescription runs out and just get a multi with iron for him over the counter.  Well, we'll burn that bridge when we get there.  (Don't get me wrong, I like Dr. C and Dr. M, but some days... I just wonder.  I'm just glad I have an overall healthy kiddo.)
Boo still doesn't like doctor appointments though.  He used to not mind as an infant, but since about 12 months... not so happy about them.  He's fine in the waiting room and looking at the fish tank, but as soon as we get into the exam rooms, forget it.  I was hoping now that his vocabulary is better, he'd just whine that he didn't want to be there, but nope, it was crying and screaming again, but with a few words thrown in for good measure.  He did just fine though and calmed pretty quickly afterwards.

Anyhow, I'm off to catch some sleep if I can.  We're going down to Amma and PopPop's tomorrow to celebrate Hanukkah.  It will be nice.

Peace to all and may your checkups go well.

No comments: