Thursday, December 03, 2009

Healthy Boy!


Well, today was Boo's 18-month doc visit (or as Charlie at work called it, his scheduled PM visit...).  It went fairly well, screaming aside.  It was kind of funny.  We get to the doctor's office and he happily watches the fish in the fish tank for a bit while we wait and is overall happy boy, if a little shy.  Then we get called back to the exam rooms.  As soon as we get to the door between the exam room and the waiting room, he just melts down.  I think he's still a little traumatized by the blood draw last week.  I don't really blame him.  That and almost every time we've been to the doctor in the last 18 months, he's gotten at least one shot.
Anyhow, he more or less screamed through the entire taking of his vital stats.  He's 32.5" tall and 24 lb, 6 oz.  That's a 2 lb gain over the last 3 months!  He's right around the 50% mark for both height and weight.  They measured his head, but I don't remember what the measurement was.  Oh well, it was right on track for him.  They also gave us a sheet of questions about what he is or is not doing to do an initial screen for autism.  Needless to say he does not have any of the "symptoms" of autism and is developing very well.  His doctor gave him a clean bill of health.  He got two shots today, the DTaP booster and the first of the two H1N1 vaccines.  I wasn't sure if we were going to do that one.  There's been so much debate back and forth about it.  But, they had it in stock and I figure with him being in day care, I'd rather be safe than sorry.  He'll have to go again in about a month for the second "dose".  They may or may not have it, but I figure half a dose is better than no protection.  (Of course I say this and I haven't received a flu shot in hmm.... 3 or 4 years now and for 2007 and 2008 I was technically in a "high risk" category being pregnant and caring for someone 6 months and under...)
Anyhow, I also noticed this morning that he's finally getting the next two bottom teeth in.  That could explain some of his general crankiness.
I was quite impressed.  I wasn't asked at all about his eating habits, other than reminded that he only needs 2 cups of milk a day (or else it could cause bowel issues/anemia) and that he doesn't need juice at all and only 4 oz at most.  Both of which I try to go by, but it's hard to limit the milk when it's one of the few protein sources I know I can get in him.... and he loves it.  The juice thing isn't so much of an issue at home, but they do give them juice in the afternoons with snack at this age.  No big deal really, just means I don't give him any at home.  He will drink water, but he prefers it at least partially juice.  At least I don't have a problem getting fruit into the boy.  He loves fruit more than almost anything, other than maybe milk.
But, of course his finickiness at eating is causing problems at day care now.  he's "transitioned" to being a "toddler" now.  Or at least, in the one lady's view he has since he willingly either sleeps or rests on his mat at nap time instead of a crib and can feed himself.  The problem is that he doesn't always like what they're serving.  The other problem is that the director can be a bit sticky on this one and her opinion is that "if he's hungry enough he'll just pick it up with his fingers".  Well, Boo is getting much better about touching slimy things, but overall, would prefer not to.  He eats well with a spoon, as evidenced by the below photo.

I took this today at breakfast.  Doesn't he look way older than 18 months in this picture?  Anyhow, there's a bit of a struggle that's going on and he may or may not eat much lunch some days at school.  I figure it's OK in the long run, maybe it means he'll actually be more willing to eat dinner for me.  That and he's done this to them before and still eats better for them than for me.  For example, he willingly ate macaroni and cheese today, when I can't even think about pasta or rice without him shaking his head and proclaiming "NO!".  I'm sure this will resolve itself in time.  Eventually he'll figure something out that works for him.  I try not to worry, but I do, and all things considered, I'd rather worry about food than have any of the millions of worse things that I could be worrying about.

Well, I think that about does it for the second installment of the 18-month update.  He's growing way too fast, but I'm enjoying every moment.  Well, maybe not every moment, but his cuteness offsets some of the trying things he does.....

I'm off to read a bit before bed.  I'm so glad tomorrow is Friday.

Peace to all and may your checkups go well and life continue to amaze you.

No comments: