Friday, August 11, 2006

Travel

As my blog's title states, I'm a traveling ratling. More often than not, that means I'm on a plane. I do get to drive to a few locations, but not many. As my faithful readers (do I have any readers other than my husband??) know, I'm on the road many, many weeks out of the year, probably at least 15 or 20 a year.
I don't normally comment on world events or politics or things like that. I'm not really that involved with them, so I don't have much to say. The events of yesterday do impact me though, so I think I'll comment this time.
I fly through one of the country's smaller airports, it has 12 gates (I've been in ones much smaller). In the past 5 years, the only two noticeable changes in security is the fact that I have to take my checked baggage over to the TSA people now instead of the agents putting it on the belt behind them and that I have to take off my shoes. No real changes in anything. And this goes even for the big airports I fly through too.
I read the NY Times article this morning and then went to their readers' blog thing. It made me sick how many comments were political in nature, both right- and left-wing.
Sure, it's inconvenient not to be able to pack my own drinks. What I find stupid is that you can't take something that's been through security and you purchased near the gate. I also find it stupid that if I want to shower on my trips (even the 1 or 2 night ones) I have to check my luggage. When I'm gone overnight or two nights, my stuff fits into a bag that is smaller than some other women's purses! How silly to have to check it. I will though. I'll hate it if I have to start checking the ipod or game boy. I don't read well on flights and get nauseous. I refuse to check my prescriptions (allergy) or my wallet. My company 'strongly discourages' you from checking your laptop. If where I'm going has a computer I can use and I burn my presentations to disk (or flash drive) that'll work, if not, the computer gets carried, or checked if I have to.
One of the posters over at NYT mentioned something about all this screening of passengers is all well and good, but how do we know that the airline people or the people working in the stores won't 'do bad things'? We don't. Pure and simple. We have to trust, and trust seems to be in short supply these days.
I have a lot of trust. I trust the people on the roads I drive every day not to 'do bad things' and run me over. I trust the people at the grocery store to not 'do bad things' and provide fresh and safe food for me to buy. I trust my coworkers to not 'do bad things' and not come in and shoot everyone dead. I have found over the years that it is so much easier to trust people then it is to not. Most people are good people. I have a lot less stress this way. I try very hard not to worry about what I can't change. I try and change only what I have control over, and I don't have very much control over much.
I will continue to fly. I will continue to trust. Most importantly I'll continue to love; love my husband, my family and my friends and as many people as I humanly can. Peace and love to all.

No comments: