Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Photo A Day Update

Well, here's the next installment of Photo a Day photos.  I'm going to keep this short and sweet and mostly let the photos talk for themselves.

Day 7 was drink.  This is how I start my day most days.  With some tea.  This is the teapot that my brother and Becca got me for my birthday, and Gak got me another one of for mother's day.  I love the way it works.  (I'm also impressed I caught this mid-pour with my point-n-shoot and the lovely steam on the mug.  For anyone who cares, this was the raspberry black tea.  Good by itself, better with some of the raspberry patch herbal tea mixed in and even better iced.



Day 8 was 6:00.  I missed 6:00 in the morning.  At 6:00 in the evening, Boo and I were playing at the playground.  We had a good time, as usual.  We really do love the playground at the park.

Day 9 was to be my view today.  This isn't the one I posted on G+, but it works just as well.  This is a view of part of the crowd at Rock the Mall.  I told you all about our adventures there the other day.

Day 10 was supposed to be the best bit of my weekend.  Well, Sunday we went down to visit Amma and PopPop and had some minor adventures.  So, I thought I'd share a picture of the SWAPS I got at Rock the mall, because without a doubt, my DC trip was the best part of my weekend.  I think the one I have from the furthest away is the little blue pocket looking one, it's from North Carolina.  The closest one is the pin with beads in the front, that troop is from the next town up the road from where I work.  Yep, went all the way to DC to meet people from down the road.

Day 11 was door.  I've shot this little shed in across the stream form the park before, but I had to again.  Most of the doors around me on a daily basis are pretty boring.  I have some other great door shots, but I decided I had to take a new photo.  Of course, I left the house without my camera, so I had to use my phone.  Admittedly, my phone has a half decent camera on it.



Yesterday, day 12, was shoot from down low.  I wanted to get an awesome picture of one of the trees out front, but it was raining and I wasn't feeling very inspired but I knew I had to get some shot.  I took this one lying on the floor of the foyer of our apartment building.  Yep, that's my bike, Lady, there in the stairwell.  I kinda like the effect, but not one of my best shots.  I have much better shots taken from down low looking up.


Today, day 13, was art.  Yeah, that's helpful.  So, today I took a picture of some of Boo's art.  The latest batch he told me to take into work.  They're maps if you're wondering.  Maps to where?  Well, according to him, they're to "places".  Thanks kid; you're a help.

Overall I'm having fun with this.  Part of me wishes I had the time and energy (and equipment) to really "do" this from a photographer point of view, create some "real" art.  Part of me thinks I should just do this totally as "snapshots" and let art go to and pound sand.  Both methods have merit.  If I'm just trying to record a glimpse of the day with a single image with a theme, than snapshots are almost implied.  But, if I approach it as a way to push myself and and work on my skills as a photographer, than I should be approaching these assignments with more thought and care.  But, since I like both approaches, I'll probably try and push myself when and where I can, but revel in the snapshot nature of shooting with either my phone or my point-n-shoot.  I miss my SLR, and have been drooling over DSLRs lately.  I think part of me really wants to get back to "being" a photographer. 
 I miss it. 
 I just don't have time.  I don't have the time or the energy to really focus on it.  I don't have the equipment to shoot digitally the way I want to.  I still have my film SLRs, but my FG has a wonky back I just can't trust and my auto-focus one, I just get lazy with and don't actually take the time to play with the f-stop and shutter speed like I do with the FG.  I want to have ultimate control.  I want to play with the settings.  But... as much as I love working in the darkroom and developing and printing my own B&W film and photos I have fallen in love with the instant gratification of seeing what I shoot digitally.  (I also really miss the sound of the shutter, the real sound that is, and the feel of the mechanics of advancing the film... the tactile part of photography.)

Anyhow, I'm just rambling at this point.  I will gladly live with my little Cannon and hope that some day soon I'll be able to afford a DSLR and have some time to enjoy it.

Peace to all and may you stretch your skills and enjoy your challenges.

No comments: