Tuesday, March 27, 2012

So Close and Yet, So Far

Well, today was supposed to be the day that Boo finally went an entire week with telling people he needed to go potty, with only occasional accidents overnight or when sleeping.  That would mean tomorrow we would go to Target and pick up the new Muppets movie on DVD.

That's what we all were wanting.  But, not this week.  You see, After making it through 5 days, Boo had a miss or two on Sunday that could be mostly excused to sheer exhaustion.  So, instead of having yesterday (Monday) be day 7 we extended it until today.  Well, yesterday was a bit of a disaster.

I get to school and he was wearing the shorts out of his bucket (I'd forgotten to bring pants back after the last accident...) because he was soaked after nap.  Well, talking to Dianna it turns out that he was awake through nap time and if he'd said something to her about having to potty, she would have happily let him go.  Boo doesn't even sound surprised by this.  When we get home I was emptying the dirty diaper bucket and noticed a stinker pullup on top.  I asked him if he'd gone poopy in his pullup on purpose or if it was an accident.  He said on purpose.  (Apparently he'd told Gak it was an accident..)

So, between the not bothering to tell Dianna at nap time he needed to potty and blatantly pooping in his pullup that morning, Gak and I made the decision to restart the week counter.  The deal was he tell people when he had to potty for a week, and well, he decided not to yesterday.

Do I feel good about it?  No.  Not really.
Do I think we made the right decision?  Yes, not just from the bribing him to go potty standpoint either.  He also has to learn that there are consequences to his actions and that there is a time and a place for everything.  He wants the reward of the new movie, I'm not going to give it to him for being "close enough".  We had overlooked a couple of accidents that were suspect in my mind because he truly did seem to be caught off guard by them.  (There were a few obvious accidents, like overnight or at nap time or when he was distracted by the TV... but some were a little iffy to me... but I was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt...)

So, potty training is going forward.  A lot faster than it was, but there is still work to do on Boo's part.  I can understand him being a little more accident prone yesterday as we had a very full weekend and he was short on sleep.  I'm just disappointed that he just decided not to for the most part yesterday.  Of course, part of it could have to do with the fact that he was in big-boy underware all morning Saturday until nap time without a problem in the slightest.  That and he's been more than willing to poop on the potty for the past week.  Oh well.  He'll learn eventually that it's easier, and cleaner, to just use the potty.

I do have a lot of catching up to do about the weekend.  It was a lot of fun and very busy and full of lots of friends and family.  I'll try and catch up a bit tomorrow.

For now, I'm going to finish a little paperwork and head out.  (I didn't really take lunch today as I was working straight through on a problem, so I'm taking my "lunch" now.)

Peace to all and may your lessons be easier as opposed to harder.

No comments: