Friday, January 27, 2012

Wet Winter?

Can I tell you that I'm sick of rain?  Really, well and truly I am sick of rain.  Don't get me wrong, we can usually use rain... but man has the last 12 months been WET!  Remember all the flooding and rain I talked about this summer?  Remember how many weeks I posted that I couldn't get a bike ride in because it was raining.  Well, the trend seems to be continuing through the winter.
And can I tell you I'm not happy about it?
I want snow.
Yes, you read that right, I want snow.  I want about a week of nice cold, clear (not damp!) weather and then a dumping of a foot or more of snow.  And then I want it to stay cold for another couple of weeks so it stays around.  I want to go sledding a bunch more times with my boy-o this winter.  I want to get some pretty pictures of the snow.  I want the cold weather to kill all the germies that keep getting everyone sick over and over again because this stupid weather just keeps incubating them.

I know, I know, I'm whining again.  And I'd also better be careful about what I wish for.

Anyhow, besides this wacky weather that feels more like April or September, this week has been going well.

Monday was the last "Amma Day" for 6-8 weeks.  I'm not sure if I've mentioned it or not, but Mom's getting her left knee replaced on Monday.  We're all pretty excited about this, a little nervous at times, but pretty excited.  Her knee really has gotten quite bad and is getting more unstable by the day it seems.  Thankfully she has a doctor who seems to be really awesome and is having it done at a facility that handles about 1000 or more knees and hips a year.  Yep, you read that right, a year.  That's over 20 a week.  (If you're re-reading this blog post, you're not imagining things, I changed it, I had the wrong numbers stuck in my head... Mom corrected me *laugh*.)  She's also found a really awesome rehab program that's all day for an entire week and should get her up, moving and well on her way to 100% much more quickly.
Boo's excited about that thought, if only because Amma mentioned she should be able to go down the slide with him at the park come spring... All our conversations about why he won't see Amma on Monday go something along the lines of:
"Amma won't be here Monday" - me
"Why?" - Boo
"She's getting her knee fixed"
"Oh! So she can go down the big slide wif me!"

See.  I told you the boy-o loves playing with his Amma.

Anyhow, Becca is flying out here on Sunday so that she can stay at the house with Mom and Dad for about 2 weeks and get Mom to and from the hospital and rehab.  I really appreciate that she can do this.  She's able to work from home (and I think she's spending a few vacation days as well...) which means she can still get her work done and take care of the running around.  I just have to make it a priority to steal here at least one afternoon for a bit.  That and I've got to make sure she and Boo get some "Cars and Trucks and Things That Go" time.  We've been trying to get the two of them and that book together for the last year!  I think Becca will be quite blown away at how fast Boo points out Goldbug on each page, I hope she's been practicing!

Anyhow, I think my file is almost finished evaluating so I've really got to pay attention to some "real" work.

Peace to all and may you have a dry weekend (unless you really do need the rain!) and good adventures ahead.

No comments: