Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Weekends of Adventure

The last two weekends have been full of a lot of fun things.  Last weekend we went to the WWII weekend and air show at the Mid-Atlantic Air Museum in Redding, PA and yesterday Boo, Mom and I went to Rehoboth Beach for the day.  (I love vacation days!)

I was hoping to post about the air show at some point last week, but the furthest I got was to get all 30-some pictures downloaded off the camera, edited (and played with in some cases) and posted up to Flickr.  That's really taking a lot of time and energy lately.  I've been splitting my valuable free time among too many activities again...

Anyhow, the air show at MAAM was very cool.  Most of the clan went.  Gak stayed home because he needed a day to himself before his one (now two) weeks of working open to close the entire week.  (That's a whole other post and I'm not going to get into it...)  Also, Barb, Norm and the boys joined us for a bit as well as Steve, Shelby and her two and Steph's dad came along as well..  There was so much to see and watch.  Everyone had a pretty good time over all.  I had a lot of fun with my camera and taking pictures of the planes, the trucks and motorcycles and the people too.  I loved being able to shoot in B&W or color at the flip of a switch, but there were times when I was doing the editing this week that I was seriously missing the smell of fixer and the seclusion of working in a darkroom.  Yes, I'm a geek that way.  I miss getting messy for my art.

Anyhow, if you want to see all of the pictures from the air show, you'll have to click the link to go to my Flikr page.  Here are a few of my favorites.





Yesterday I had a vacation day planned.  So, a few weeks ago I asked Mom if she wanted to go where the sand meets the water for the day.  She jumped on it and said "yes!" in a heartbeat.  I really do enjoy these trips with her.  It gives us a day together, which we don't get often these days, and a chance to get away.  (Not to mention the chance to eat Grotto Pizza and ice cream and play in the sand and the water...)  It's a nice time to relax and catch up and play.  Something we've both been needing.




Anyhow, Boo had a total blast in the sand as usual.  I think we had enough sand toys for three or four little boys.  I really love the ones that Aunt Eileen and Uncle Joe got Boo for his birthday.  (Boo really liked the shovel out of that one too...).  Boo just loves, loves, loves sand and digging in it.  But not mud.  Nothing squishy for my boy.
And he doesn't like the water much.  He loves splashing in rain puddles and will happily spend half an hour in the tub some days.  But the pool isn't such a marvelous thing and the surf... forget it, he won't go near it!  We convinced him to help carry the buckets to get them filled with water, and he got about halfway from our blanket to the waves, turned around and ran in a straight line right for our spot.  He did the same thing last year too.  Oh well.  Maybe we'll have to take him over to Indian River inlet (at Pot-Nets even though we don't know anyone over there any more, which is sad and another story...) and see if he likes little waves any better.

We had a great day.  We dropped Poppa off at work, picked Amma up at her house and then had a fairly uneventful drive down.  We stopped at the McDonalds right at route 24 for a smoothy and to change, then it was to the beach!  I actually found a spot about a block and a half up, right on the Avenue.  We got there right around 10:30 or so and it was just about a perfect weather day.  The sun was out, the temperature wasn't too hot and there was a nice breeze (which got a little too playful at times, but was very nice over all).

We spent a good two hours almost on the beach and then went and had pizza at the Grotto's on the boardwalk.  (No pictures of the pizza this year, sorry Jon, but you'll be out here in two weeks and can enjoy some for yourself.)  Then there was a slight misadventure with a swim diaper holding half a bucket of salt water and lemonade and the parking meter as well.... Then back to the sand for a little bit until we had a tired boy.  Boo actually managed to sleep in his stroller for just about an hour.  Most of that time Amma and I spent either sitting in or wandering around in Browse About Books.  (Unfortunately, I couldn't remember any books I was looking for, and they're not almost more "stuff" than books.  They're still one of my favorite books stores though.)

Anyhow, I have an awake boy and I need to get ready for work.  Just enough time to slap some pictures in here and get going.

Peace to all and may your weekends (and weeks....) be filled with fun adventures!

No comments: