Saturday, June 18, 2011

Hawk Mountain Hiking

Today was a grand adventure.  One that hopefully be repeating again.
Shelby on Monday declared that she was needing "out" and was going to Hawk Mountain today and if anyone wanted to join her, we were more than welcome.  I've been wanting to go back to Hawk Mountain for a while now and in reality, I needed a day "out" as well.  So, I told her Boo and I would be joining her.  It turns out that her two, Jared and Jocelyn joined her and Steve came along and Shelby's friend Stacy joined us as well.
It turns out that Hawk Mountain was hosting a fund-raising 5K today, so Steve was more than happy to run it.  He wasn't terribly impressed by his time, but not totally put out.  He felt he did OK for himself and he enjoyed himself, so that's the biggest judge.  His biggest problem was the fact that pretty much the last 2 miles of the 3.1 was all uphill, the last mile being very uphill.  (What do you expect, we were at Hawk Mountain after all.)

So, while Steve was running, the rest of us prowled along the trails for a little bit.  Then we joined up with Steve and went for a longer walk.  We weren't really planning on going all the way to North Lookout, but we ended up there.  We did make a few stops at some of the other lookouts on the way and the boys (especially Jared) had a blast climbing on the rocks.  Boo did really awesome, walking a good portion of it.  I ended up putting him into the back more because the ground was sooo rocky and he was having problems keeping up, more than he was complaining about walking.

I'm really impressed with myself though.  Even carrying Boo for a good portion of the 2 miles up and back, I was able to keep up for most of it and really wasn't winded and exhausted.  Let me tell you, the trail may have only been 1 mile each way, but there was a LOT of climb, especially at the end.  Of course, I love scrambling over the rocks and climbing about.  Mom has claimed I'm half mountain goat from time to time.  I think Boo inherited a good chunk of that too.


Steve was so impressed by Boo.  He was just wowing the socks off Steve most of the day with his conversation and observation, not to mention his endurance and willingness to climb all over the place.  I think Steve was more thrilled than Boo to give him a piggy back ride.  You'd think Steve liked Boo or something.  I really wish we got to see him (and Shelby and the kids too!) more often.  They're great people.  Of course, it doesn't help when Steve gets deployed overseas for a year or more at a time.  But that's a totally different story.

Anyhow, I think this is where I'm going to wrap this up.  We've got a picnic at Kat's tomorrow for Father's Day and Billy's birthday.  I've also got laundry to do and a quick grocery run to get in there somewhere too.

Peace to all and may your weekends be full of adventure!

No comments: