Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Whining

I have a lot on my mind these days.  I'm not quite ready to share most of it.  I seem to be saying that a lot this year.  But this year has been a tough one, and in many ways very similar to 2007, which we all remember wasn't the best year of my life.  There have been losses this year, although none as close as Gak's Dad or my Gram.  There has been emotional turmoil and stress and financial issues as well, just like in 2007.  I think we're coming out ahead better this year than in 2007, but it's been a very rough ride the last 3/4 of a year.

I don't know what it is about this time of year, but most of the guys that I know (including my son) are going through some sort of whiny, bratty, self-centered phase.  Boo's been especially whiny and cranky the last week or so.  Of course, he seems to alternate between whining so much that you just want to put him in his room and leave him there while you go outside for some quite to being too darn adorable for words.  That makes the previous cranky moment almost disappear, but not quite because it returns in a flash.  And I don't understand most of it.  For example, he'll open the refrigerator door, see the ketchup and say "ketchup! I don't waaant it, I don't liiiikee" and whine at you about it for the next 5 minutes.  Meanwhile, I've told him that he doesn't have to eat it (and why are you in the fridge in the first place?) and closed the door.  But it continues and he goes back to open the door just to show me the dreaded ketchup and whine about it.  I just don't get it.  And heaven forbid I want to watch the news or something when I get home.  It's funny because he'll point to the TV and say "news on!", so I turn it on to the news.  (I used to do this more often, but just haven't recently... mostly because it's been nice out and we've gone to the park or errands or things other than go home.)  But, of course as soon as I turn the TV on he starts whining "Elmoooo... elmo....".  Not asking for Elmo or Sesame Street just whimpering and whining Elmo.  Then when I explain he watched Sesame Street in the morning an that I'd really like to watch the news for a few minutes (if only to get the weather) he just melts into a whimpery, whiny puddle.  Thankfully most of the time not a loud screaming one, but it still grates.

The grown men aren't really being much better.  It seems that my dear, sweet, Gak is just about the only guy I know and am close with that isn't being a jerk to their significant other in some way, shape or form.  And some are just being a jerk to everyone.  It's got to be the season change, it has to be.

Anyhow, I've got to actually get to work.  I just thought I'd let you know we're still alive and that right now it's a little messy in my head.  I'm sure there'll be a much longer post in the somewhat near future, but I've got to get a lot of things sorted out before I try and put them into words.

Peace to all and may the boys not be whiny and the fall weather beautiful

No comments: