Friday, October 22, 2010

Boo Boy News

First off, I have to apologize for the lack of pictures of late.  It's not that I haven't been taking any, they're all still sitting on the camera, waiting patiently for me to download them, fix them up and publish them.  I've just been busy with other things (read yarn) in the evenings and mornings.  I do have some cute ones to share, I promise.

Anyhow, this has been an interesting week with the boy child.  He's been Mr. Crankybutt since about Saturday or so.  Thankfully, he's feeling much more like his normal self today, but is displaying frightening new levels of toddler angst and tantrums.
It all began Saturday morning at about 5 am, when he woke with an explosive diaper and didn't want to go back to sleep.  All Saturday morning he was a bit of a pea-dinger, but I just thought he was extra tired.  He napped for a good 3 hours or so.  We picked up his poppa and then took the boys for a hair cut.  Boo did so very well.  Of course, he was still half asleep, so that helped.  He actually sat in the chair by himself and even let her use the trimmers!  He then happily sucked down a lolly pop while his poppa finished getting his hair cut.
Of course, right about the time we get to the hair cut place, we get a call that Scott was in a motorcycle accident.  (Don't worry, he's OK, the bike isn't, but no major damage to Scott.)  So, we quick grab some Chik-Fil-A (usually a favorite of the boy) and head to Kat's.  Anyhow, we know something is off because he won't touch his chicken.
Sunday he was cranky fussy boy great at driving his parents up a wall.  We manage to make it through the day with the help of some Tylenol.  He's got no fever or other symptoms, but he was fiddling with his ears.  "Great," I think, "we manage to get to age 2 and he now starts getting ear infections."  Well, I was wrong.  We thought it might be teeth because he kept not wanting to eat, or cry after trying to eat, and say "My mouf hurt".
Well, nope, not teeth either.  I figure out Wednesday, when he was actually cooperating, that he had a sore on his tongue.  It seems to be clearing up on it's own, so we didn't go to the doctor.  The most likely culprit is a viral infection called "foot, hand and mouth disease".  There's nothing to do about it other than deal with the fever (which he never really had).  I'm also not sure that's it because he never got a rash on his hands or feet.  Who knows, I just know he's feeling better.

And can I tell you, my son has become obsessed with his stool.

No, I don't mean that in a gross bathroom kind of way.

Well, other than the fact that the stool is supposed to stay in the bathroom.  It's his little white stool for washing hands and (someday) getting onto and off of the potty by himself.  But, he's realized how much freedom it gives him.
A few weeks ago, while I was trying to fix dinner and cutting up some apples for desert, he went and got the stool and brought it into the kitchen so he could watch and steal slices of apple (and play in the sink).  Then, before you could blink he's been dragging it all around the apartment.  He uses it to stand on to get into his chair in the kitchen (which he doesn't need to use...).  No matter where I'm working in the kitchen he'll drag the thing over, set it on my foot (aargh!) and stand on it so he can see (and invariably steal apple slices, as we've been eating lots of apples lately).  He takes it into his room to use to get into bed (again, he doesn't need it).  He'll use it to get onto the sofa, another feat he's been able to do for months on his own.  Or into the rocker.  Or just about anywhere.
Three or four days ago he realized that standing on the stool makes him tall enough to reach the light switch in his room.  He'd figured out he can reach the light switch to the bathroom in our room a few weeks ago while playing with his toothbrush.  (We still aren't great about brushing teeth and he more plays with it than anything and won't let me scrub his teeth, or the rest of him, for him...)  So, he's become very attached to his little white stool.
I just wish he'd stop setting it on my foot.
I may have to try some cooking experiments and get him to start helping me stir things... or decorate cookies.  This could be some really messy fun.

Anyhow, just thought I'd give you a boy update.  Other than that, it's October so work is painful.  There's all kinds of angst and drama and other things going on within our group.  This really is feeling too much like 2007 for my comfort.  The stress levels are just way too high for my liking.  It's got to get better soon, it really does.  At least this year is almost over and it hasn't been as bad on as grand a scale, but still, lots of the same problems abound.

I'd better get back to work.

Peace to all and may your family be healthy, their explorations fun and the stress minimal.

No comments: