Saturday, May 12, 2012

Soccer!

Well, today was Boo's first soccer game.  I'd love to tell you he's a natural and just took to it like a fish to water.

But, those of you who know my boy-o, know that would not be my boy.  No, my boy will do things in his own time, and in his own way and only when he's good and ready.  Thankfully, he's not the only one like this in the world and that there are lots of people who understand.

As you can see from the picture Boo is on team Dynamo.  As in the Houston Dynamo.  Yep, the QSC has a partnership with Adidas and they get real, honest to goodness, uniforms of pro soccer teams.  I think he's quite adorable in his orange jersey and black shorts.  Everything is so big on him, but then again, they gave the smallest sizes they had to the 4s and 5s.  But somehow the oversized uniforms make them look even more cute.

Anyhow, on to the actual game.  The first half hour or so is spent in "practice" and the second half hour or so is the actual "game".  Well, the first part of practice is warm-up while waiting for the rest of the team to get there.  Boo loved this part.  He was kicking his soccer ball all around and enjoying himself.  I had to run to the clubhouse to pick up our Red Robin gift cards.  I told him I'd be right back, but he didn't like that idea, and tried to follow me.  Anyhow, by the time I got back, it was the more formal practice.  He didn't want any part of this because he just wanted to play with me.  I almost got him to participate a little bit in the formal practice, but by the time the "game" rolled around, he wanted nothing to do with it.  He just wanted to go.  I convinced him to stay and watch.  The dad who was coach today (his normal coach wasn't there today) was very kind in his trying to get Boo to participate in the game.  The game consists of four-on-four matches between two teams.  There were enough kids on both teams today that there was a four-on-four match and a three-on-three match.  Boo would have made it four-on-three, but he was more than happy to watch.  He almost went onto the field a couple of times.
I think by the end of next Saturday he'll be running around playing with the rest of the team, or maybe the next week.  He's my watcher boy and he's got to take it all in and understand it all before he'll dive in head first.  I bet by the end of the season I won't be able to get him off the field.  Either that or he'll never make it onto the field and we'll never play another season.  Either way is fine.  I just want him to stick out the entire season and give it a fair shot to see if this is something he will have fun with or not.  I want him to have fun.  Any additional skills or friends he gains along the way is gravy.

Anyhow, I just thought I'd give everyone a quick update and some pictures.



Peace to all and may you have fun.

No comments: