Sunday, October 30, 2011

Snow-tober?

Snow?
In October?
Really?

Yes, really.  And at least 6 if not 8 inches at my place by the time it was all said and done.  What was supposed to start out as rain, turn to snow and give us 3-4 inches and then turn to rain again, started out as snow and stayed snow all day.  I honestly thought it was late November or December this weekend...

Anyhow, despite the snow throwing a monkey wrench into some plans, it was still a pretty good weekend.  (I just wish I'd gotten around to getting me a new winter coat as my old one fell apart and was two or three sizes too big anyhow... and made sure we all had gloves etc.  At least the boy had a new coat, mittens and boots!)

Yesterday went more or less according to plan.  I ended up spending 2 hours in the grocery store with Kat and Zoe picking up stuff (with the power on generators for most of the time...) because we both needed things that were buy one get one free, but didn't need two... And the power went out right as I was about 80% of the way through browning the meat for chili (but there was enough residual heat in the pan left to finish cooking it off).  Thankfully the power was only out about an hour or so and I was able to get the chili in the crockpot on and ready for dinner.  Gak had all kinds of fun with stuff at work.  And Kat's mom ended up spending the night here because there was no way she was going to be able to get home even if they had power with all the downed lines and trees as well as the 7 or 8 inches of snow.

Today Kat and I were supposed to join Steve and Shelby for a 5K run/walk/jog at Peace Valley Park to benefit the SPCA.  Unfortunately, there were a lot of downed trees and things along the trails and it was deemed unsafe.  Hopefully it'll be next Sunday.

We ended up meeting up with Kat and Zoe at the laundry mat this morning because I had moved the car over there when the landlord was plowing and they'd come in to town to do wash.  We were originally going to head to Target to get out of the house for a bit, but instead the kids played and we hung out until the wash was in the dryers and then we went to lunch.

The biggest event this weekend was this evening though.  Steve was hosting a get together for everyone over at the local pizza joint.  You see, Steve heads to Afghanistan either Tuesday or Wednesday.  He'll be there for a year or so.  I should be used to this.  This is the 4th or 5th time in the last decade that he's been deployed to the Middle East, usually to Iraq, but to Afghanistan this time.  But, I'm not used to it.  I don't like it.  I understand to some degree why he stays in the Army.  I accept that it is who he is and what he does.  I even understand why we keep sending people over there, at least on some level.  But that doesn't mean I have to like it.  That doesn't mean that I won't be worried at least on some level until his plan lands state side again.  I may not have known Steve as long as some of the guys, but I've known him long enough and care about him more than enough to worry.  And besides, the way he honestly and truly cares for my boy, I have to worry.  Boo loves his Uncle Steve and wants him to be around as much as possible.  (Steve has this magic way with the kids, it's amazing.  Of course, I think it's because despite it all, he's still about 80% kid 90% of the time himself... sure he's as responsible and more so than anyone when he has to be, but he'd rather be playing with the kids any day of the week.)

So, it as usual it was good to catch up with Steve.  I just wish it wasn't because he was heading out of the country.

And speaking of heading out of the country, I realize that I never did post about last weekend.  Last Sunday we headed down to Baltimore to hang out with Michelle at the Maryland Zoo in Baltimore.  Which is a really awesome little zoo.  We had a great time.  We all loved the chance to spend the day together.  We don't get to do that often enough.  It turns out that we were lucky to get a chance at all to catch up with Michelle this time she was home.  She'd been in Afghanistan for about 5 weeks back in August and then home again.  (Of course, she was supposed to be in Pakistan for the year starting in August, but they're not really issuing visas much right now...)  Michelle still isn't sure exactly what's going on with her posting, but last Monday she left to go back to Afghanistan, for anywhere from two weeks to two months.  Yep, could be two months.  She's subbing for the person who was supposed to be there because when they had their physical, they found something that needed a minor out-patient operation.  So, until they get cleared to travel, Michelle will be filling in for them in Afghanistan.

At least both Michelle and Steve will be in the same country.  I feel a smidge better knowing that Steve will be there when Michelle is.  I know they'll more than likely never run into each other, but just knowing they're in the same area of the world is somewhat comforting.

Anyhow, it is well after 9:00 and I have to get up in the morning for the last day of the reporting month.  I'm not really looking forward to it.  It's Halloween though, so that'll be fun.  I'll be wearing my Faire garb that I haven't worn since before Boo was born.  And actually, I'll be wearing the bodice I haven't been able to wear for about a year or so prior to that because I was just too big.  Of course, the Irish dress that I bought about 8 or 10 years ago now is now about two sizes too big.  Which is both amazing and saddening at the same time.  I love that dress, but I've gotten more than my money's worth out of it.  Most of the guys in the office haven't ever seen me in it, and I can't wait to see their reactions...

So, peace (please) to everyone and may your weekends be full of fun, and your friends and family safe and sound.  (And don't forget to thank the service men and women and all the various support staff from the various departments who keep it that way...)

No comments: