Monday, May 16, 2011

Our Boy

I have been a delinquent blogger again.  I have so many things I want to talk about, but I've just been too tired and too busy to write anything down coherently.  I also have a month's worth of pictures on my camera that I need to download, edit and upload to Flickr.  *sigh*

Tonight's entry will probably be a short one, but it's one of the many topics that have been chasing around my brain for a while and I just want to get out.  If I get up in time I may post one tomorrow about the weekend and all the wonderful adventures that were had.

Anyhow, a week or so back Gak and I were talking about Boo after he'd gone to bed.  Boo and I had done another orienteering hike that Sunday.  The course was good and I did fairly well for carrying an additional 30 lbs.  The mud was a bit rough though.  At one point I had made Boo walk for a bit while I fixed the backpack, as something had gone a little off and my left arm was going numb.  Oops.  Anyhow, we were on a well marked, flat path.  Unfortunately, it was a very muddy path.  Boo hates mud.  He loves to splash in puddles, but he hates mud.  Doubly unfortunately, the mud decided to "eat" his shoes.  You should have heard the shriek of pure terror he let out!  Thankfully I could rescue him and his shoes and there was a downed tree that we could use to get him back into the pack and out of the mud.

Anyhow, this story got Gak and I talking.  Boo really is a very good mix of the two of us.  Half the people you ask, say he looks like his Poppa, and the other half usually say he looks like me.  (Although, I think he looks a bit more like Gak personally... but *shrug* I may be biased...)  But it's not just in looks.  It's in personality.  He takes to electronics and anything that has buttons with the same single-minded determination that Gak has.  Sure, I love me electronic toys of all kinds, but my dear, sweet hubby can't live without them.  Me, I'm the outdoors one.  I'm the one who always wants to go on adventures and go hiking and exploring.  Boo will go just about anywhere if you tell him you're going on an adventure.  We now have to classify them with "big adventure", "little adventure" or sometimes "just an every day adventure".  He thinks all this is really great.
I don't mind getting dirty and muddy, but Gak would much prefer not to.  Boo, will splash in water puddles but avoids mud and anything sticky, icky or "gross" like the plague.  He never, ever put his fingers into his baby food, and only recently has started doing things like that and usually only when he's done or looking for the M&M's in his sundae.
Boo will gladly go camping with me just about any time, even though Gak doesn't find it the most enjoyable activity.  But, Boo also won't go to sleep on the floor, he has to have a mat or mattress of some kind, an actual "bed" if you will.
He's a nest builder with all his blankets, pillows and friends, but he doesn't like being under the blankets usually like his Poppa.

Over all we have a very sweet, very polite (about 95% of the time), very smart and precocious little boy who turns three in just over two weeks.  Yes, that's right, two weeks.
We've been so lucky with him.  He's been such a pleasure most days to have around.  Even on the bad days, it's not as bad as it could be, and we're usually well aware of this.  He'll usually mind.  He's not destructive just to be mean.  (He destroys things out of boredom and curiosity... a lot like his mother...)  He likes to play hard and sleep hard and not eat a wide variety of foods, just like his parents.

Anyhow, I just wanted to share our revelation that yes, our boy is a wonderful mix of the two of us, and we're all the better for it.

Peace to all and may your heart be happy and time not go too fast.

No comments: