Monday, August 08, 2011

Girl Scouts

Well, I've officially taken the second step this evening towards being a Girl Scout leader.
What am I thinking?
Oh, yeah, that's right... Loretta knew exactly which buttons to push.  The "we're short on leaders" card.  And the "this year is the centennial" year.  And the mere fact that the only reason I don't bleed green is the fact that I haven't been able to volunteer because of work and/or Boo for the last 15 years.  Yeah, Scouts has been a core of my being for a long time.

So, a few weeks ago I finally got around to filling in the "Step One" training online.  (Well, reading it online and then emailing the completed worksheets back... not quite as easy as it could have been, but better than some training I've had to deal with.)  It was both really easy and really hard to do.  It was easy because I grew up in the program.  I'm so used to thinking from a "girl" perspective, that having to switch gears to responsible adult leader is tough!  It was also tough because I've been out of the loop for the most part for about 15 years, and there have been lots and lots of changes.  Some I like (lots of online resources, new activities), some I don't (getting rid of the 5 Worlds, renaming of the badge systems....).

I also have my partner in crime with me.  Yes, that's right Kat is going to be a leader too.  It should be interesting.  Over all, we make a good team.  In some ways, we're flip sides of the same coin, in other ways we're totally on the same page.  Like I said, we balance each other well and tend to work well together.

We'll see where this adventure leads us.

It was a good training (although I wasn't able to pay 100% attention) over all.  I was a bit stressed and frantic from almost getting stuck in a bad accident on the way home, taking an extra 10 minutes to pick up Boo, leaving only 10 minutes to run home, get Trey, run through the drive through and get back to day care where the training was going to be held.  Yeah, that didn't leave me in the best frame of mind to pay attention.  Not to mention the fact that I totally forgot to grab my notebook, or even a pen.  Yeah, I felt like the most disorganized woman in the room.  Oh well, it can only get better from here.  I'll have Kat to balance me out going forward.  (She missed tonight because she was stuck in traffic and was trying not to hatch a headache... she'll have to catch up... the story of our lives always playing catch-up.)

Anyhow, I'm going to go crash and try and relax a bit before I have to try and go to sleep.

Peace to all and may you find something you believe in.

No comments: