Friday, July 16, 2010

Curtains to You!

Well, here it is Friday again, and not much to say this week.  It's been a long, mostly wet, mostly busy week.
Actually, there are a few things in the works, but nothing is ready to talk about yet.  One has the potential to go very bad, very quickly (even though we're in the right), and another is just heavy and I haven't finished worrying it in my own brain yet.  Then you have some more or less "normal" drama that exists in our lives here.  But, like I said, none of that is ready to be committed to words yet.

So, I  don't remember if I mentioned it on Monday or not, but Mom and I went to Joann's to look at fabric for curtains for Boo's room and Gak's and my room.  We spend $100, but I'm really happy with what we got.  (And trust me, I couldn't have bought pre-made curtains for this little... not for the two large windows and the door I've got!)
Boo totally loves the fabric for his, so much so that I got extra to make a pillow case out of.  Have you noticed that at all the chain stores you just can't find curtains in cool kid patterns?  They're all dull and boring and not even stuff I really want in my room, let alone something fun for a kid.  anyhow, we were looking through the quilting prints and I pulled out a navy blue fabric loaded with tiny little starts in a bunch of colors.  Boo wouldn't let go of the bolt.  I knew we needed something fairly dark as our windows get great afternoon/evening sun, and well, that's just when I want my boy to go to sleep.  That and he's got to be solar powered as when the sun comes up, so does my son.

I went a little more sophisticated for Gak's and my room.  There was this neat navy batik with a green spiral-y or vine like pattern to it which I really liked, but then I found something that would be a bit more subtle and look better with our room.  It's still a navy fabric, but it's got these pencil thin black spiral designs, somewhat like wrought iron.  We've got 2 lamps in our bedroom that would look great with that as well as a black lacquered sewing cabinet from Gram.  They'll look great, and again, dark enough to make the room dark in the evenings and mornings.  We also have a door onto the balcony with a large window in it.  So, we got some sheer navy fabric as well for that one.  Not cheap since we had to get 2 yards for such a skinny window, but there was no way around it.  Throw in some pleating tape for the two big windows so we can use the existing rods (the kind that open and close the curtains with a cord, you know, the "old-fashioned" pleat curtain types...) and you can see how we quickly reached $100.

And my mom, being the saint that she is, volunteered to make them for me!  I mean, I could easily have done it myself as we're using the pleat tape to make life easy, but she told me she would.  Her reasoning (which I can't fault a bit) is that I have a two-year-old, she doesn't.  That, and we all know me and projects, I'm all excited in the beginning and get about 80% done, and then just loose all interest and it sits.  This isn't a project that I want to have sit.  (Although, I did get the curtains done for the old apartment in record time for me... but I also had a week off and no toddler to chase...)  I just wish I'd taken pictures of the fabric before Mom absconded with it, so I could post some pictures.  Oh well, you'll just have to wait until they're done.

So, that's about the most exciting news this week that's ready to share.  There's more drama in my life, but a lot of it has to do with the former landlady and I really don't feel like sharing here until it's all over with.  I'm just too cranky and frustrated and just plain pissed to write coherently about it right now.  I was so hoping we were done with that place, but apparently not.

Anyhow, plans for this weekend include a night out with Barb and Norm on Saturday, without Boo.  I don't think we've had the chance to do that since December.  Then again, life's been pretty chaotic and so going out's been the last thing on my mind, and probably Gak's too....  Sunday we're going to go visit PopPop and Amma, as Boo was asking for PopPop earlier this week, and who am I to say no to that?  Other than that, it should be "normal" weekend stuff.  I am looking forward to it, even if what I really want is a nap.

Oh well, I should be getting myself ready to get out the door.
Peace to you all and may your projects come together and your life be not too full of drama.

No comments: