Tuesday, March 04, 2008

Goodbye Gygax

I got some sad news today. Gary Gygax, creator of D&D, forfather of all modern RPGs, failed his saving throw. Gary has left this world for the next. Anyone who enjoys RPGs of any description, owes him a moment of thought at the least. Without him, there would have been no D&D. Without D&D, there wouldn't be any of the other "pen and paper" games. Without D&D, the MUDs, MUSHs, MOOs and MMORPGs computer gamers have come to know and love (and hate) over the last decade or so wouldn't exist. (I guess it's not all good... I mean, you can trace WoW back to Gygax.... hmm....)
Good luck and God speed Gary Gygax. The gaming world is deminished without your light.

In other news, my class this week is going well. We've got 9 people all told for the first half. It seems to be a good group and things are going well. They're learning a lot from eachother as well as from me.
Tomorrow Gak and I start our "prepared birthing" classes. I have no idea how useful they will be or if they're really worth it. Some people have told me they're a waste, others thing they're a good idea, even if I end up having to have a C. I guess we won't know until it's all been said and done. We will see.
Well, I'm tired and mostly just wanted to say something about Gygax's passing.
Peace to all and may your dice be good to you in this life and the next.

No comments: